Healthiest form of fish is to eat it is boiled in gravy…!
Fish – 1 Kg (Sliced)
Oil – 100 ml
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder – a pinch
Curry Leaves – hand full
Pepper – 10 seeds
Green Chilly – 4
Shallots (small onions) – 300 grams
Garlic – 10 cloves
Tomatoes – 4
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – as per taste
Coriander Powder – 3 teaspoon
Tamarind – 2 lemon size
Coconut – half
Corriander Leaves – 3 stems
Salt – as per taste
1. Soak the tamarind and extract the pulp. Keep it aside.
2. Grate the coconut and grind it into a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in big pan (Big enough for the fish to be able to cook properly)
4. Temper with mustard, fenugreek, asafoetida, pepper seeds and curry leaves.
5. Add chopped green chilly.
5. Add the chopped shallots and fry until it turns golden brown.
6. Add finely cut garlic and fry it until half cooked.
7. Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry until it becomes soft. (Add a pinch of salt for the tomato to get cooked fast)
8. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder (as per taste) and coriander powder. Mix well.
9. Add the tamarind pulp and allow it to boil for 5 to 10 mins.
10. Add the coconut paste and add water as required.
11. Close the pan with a lid and Allow it to boil until the oil floats on top.
12. Now add the properly cleaned fish pieces into the boiling gravy.
13. Immediately add chopped coriander leaves.
14. Turn off the flame after 5 mins as the fish cooks really fast. Be sure not to overcook.
15. Keep the gravy aside for an hour for the fish flavour to get into the gravy.
Gravy is ready to be served with hot steamed rice!